Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I am....

InspireMeThursday this week would like us to finish the prompt of "I am...". Again, I was very fortunate in that I had literally just finished this particular little ink/pen, painting/drawing. It's on a larger piece of Bristol Board though, so I had to take it to my local library to scan it. (Did you know you could do that? And at 600 dpi to boot!) I started this piece a couple of weeks ago in an effort to depict some frustration I feel about how I see a lot of stuff out there on, er, that site I sell art on, that looks the same to me. Now I don't expect anyone to get this necessarily, but sometimes it's fun to indulge oneself in ones thoughts...you know what I mean? I know that this is simply a painting of a flower and a big blue sky. But the name that keeps swirling around in my head is "the artist struggles to find an identity". I guess this is a little bit tongue in cheek for me, and a little bit serious. The flower is supposed to represent me. And, it's supposed to be drawn in that simple style that is so predominately prominent right now on that, er, site I sell art on. I then wanted the background to be more of a reflection of what I like to do with art...the freedom of the splashing of the ink. The "watercolor" effect. I also wanted the flower to appear lost in a big vast sea of sky. I sometimes feel quite lost in the big vast sea of art that is out there....but yet I still seem to have the crazies to keep at it. This is where I know that it is a true passion for me. I really haven't found anything else that I have ever wanted to pursue so consistently, regardless of rejection, or applause. I definitely thought about that one fallen petal too.... I'm pretty good at laughing at myself...I bet some of you never thought about how much thought could be put into such a simple design? ;) But perhaps you have...perhaps this same thought is also given to that stuff I see that all looks alike to me. I know it is impossible to make each piece of art look completely different than another. We take in what we see and it registers in our brain and we feel about it, and then it comes out in different forms....poetry, theatre, art.... Who is to say what is right and what is wrong? Art making can be a difficult subject. I think about it close to all of the time, in some way, shape or form. The answer to the question "I am..." will most likely always be "...an artist".

Align Center

5 comments:

H. Buchholz said...

This little flowers looks vulnerable with a threatening sky overhead! Hope it'll keep the rest of it's petals!

laurel said...

Wonderful painting and I love how much of yourself you put out there describing it. I have a lot of those same feelings. Thanks for sharing.

septembermom said...

The color is so dynamic; the flower is so delicate. Beautifully done and well written post!

Melissa Kruger said...

I love this piece. ...and this music-- it sounds a lot like U2!

Anita Figueras said...

I've added your blog to my list on my dashboard. Lovely painting! There's some force-of-nature feeling in it.