Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pilgrimage

I have come to the conclusion, in recent days, that the painting I posted in my last post is...in fact...not done. I think I have been in too much of a hurry of late to "get things done", and a consequence of that has been thinking somehow I can make paintings be done or "magically appear" somehow. This painting is particularly puzzling to me, because in some ways I just don't really like it. But that is what seems to keep me driven on it. I just don't want to let it go until there is something more about it that I like. In looking for that, I have been slowed to a snail's pace. But that is okay. I recollect being 28 and living "alone" (I had roommates) and being "allowed" to have the luxury of hanging paintings on the wall and simply staring at them for as long as I wanted, until the direction they should be taken, unfolded. I would lie on my mattress and just look as I drifted off to sleep....
I should allow myself that contemplation more often.

1 comment:

David Howard said...

This thing that happened, when you were 28, about looking at the painting and then drifting off to sleep, interests me - it sort of ties in with my latest post.