Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Do you dream in color or black and white?

I haven't had the time I was hoping for to really "create" a black and white photo this week, mainly because I've been very busy using my extra time trying to get some painting done. I have a "show" at a local coffee house in March and am doing (what I hope many artist's do in such situations) and am busily trying to finish up or start even, enough stuff for this show. I don't think I've been thinking too much outside of the box yet w/ the whole self portrait thing. I'm concentrating too much on just taking a picture of my face. So I had a little collection of those from the first week of February. So today I give you one of those. Technically speaking, not really what I wanted. For some reason I took it w/out a flash and then tried to "fix" it. But this shot led me to other places.... I thought it would make a good self portrait for one of my canvases for my show. The only trouble was once I started to do that I did a painting that absolutely did not fit w/ the rest of anything else I do. It was interesting...I labored over this self portrait. I felt like I was back in a class trying to figure out how to make it just right. However, I felt no spark for it. I've never been one to paint from an actual subject too much. I see the line, but then I want to fill it in some otehr way. But, by this time, I had spent so much time on trying to paint this self portrait that I was going to be damned if I gave it up completely. And then, as if often the way, I thought of what to do as I was trying to sleep. Sucessful? I don't know. But it is what it is....and it is how I see myself.
































If you would like to see more art by me you could go check out my flickr here....
And if you would like to see more self portraits, go here!

3 comments:

The Crafty-Girl™ said...

please give yourself some time getting used to taking self-portraits...it's not as easy as it looks!!! the more you do them, the easier it will get...and don't forget that you have the power over the "delete" button!!! i like how you turned your SP into art...wonderful colors!

Tammy Brierly said...

I love how you turned your B&W into that wonderful piece. That painting is fantastic as you ride the waves of your sucess ;)

Hel said...

I enjoyed your self portrait. The way the image is divided between you and the floor, the graininess, the positioning of your head and the expresion in your eyes.