Friday, December 04, 2009

...and so it goes again...

I always feel a little slow on the uptake, so in case someone is reading this that would benefit to hear a fairly simple breakdown of Etsy vs. 1000 Markets...read on. And here's the thing, as with anything, there are pros and cons to either.

~Etsy costs .20 a listing. (and if you are into that renewing thing, you pay it again and again and again....)
~They accept International payments.
~They use PayPal. (or you can accept a check or money order if you prefer, or rig it to accept other things. But basically put...they like PayPal.)
~They take a 3.5% transaction fee.
~PayPal takes a 2.9% plus .30 per transaction. (unless you sell high volume)

so that's a total of 6.4% plus .50 per transaction.

BUT, you get your money right away.

~1000 Markets costs nothing to list.
~They ONLY use AmazonPayments.
~They only accept domestic orders/payments. (currently)
~They take 5.5% plus .50 per item once sold.

BUT, you have to wait awhile to get your money through Amazon Payments. They work just like PayPal other than you can't withdraw funds until after a certain grace period, unless you have sold over 100 items.

Of course, there is always just your own website, or blog, or whatever....that would be free to list, and if you accepted PayPal, you would only pay 2.9% plus .30 per sale.

I don't really find the price difference to be too consequential between the two. (Etsy vs 1kM) I think the way 1kM looks is nicer, cleaner, easier to navigate. I don't like that I a have to sit around and wait for Amazon to pay me my money. Etsy has more brand recognition. Thing is...

I'm just an artist. Well, maybe not just an artist.... but I'm not a jewelry maker, or crafts person...at least not yet. Given that, and the fact that I mainly have transfered to wanting to use these sites for the purpose of selling prints and showing my art... well I guess I'd have to go with....


Yeah, that's right. You decide. ;)

P.S. I think I might have just written this post to remind myself of the fees instead of having to go hunt for them the next time I forget. ;)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I so enjoy your blog! Thank you :)

buddhacat said...

I think 1000K market has a nicer look and feel. Do you know what kind of traffic each site getts?